New Haven Baptist Church
History

The first church was a log structure after the initial meetings which took place in private homes. The first pastor, Daniel G. Taylor, visited Floyd on October 30, 1847 and preached at the home of Brother Lancaster where he found a few Baptists, most who had come from Bedford County. These few brethren had been organized into a church at Jacksonville, but they had no house of worship, no pastor and no regular preaching.

After a revival in the winter of 1847 ten persons were saved. By unanimous vote the church name was changed to New Haven. It seemed the town site was not very desirable and a new n location was secured to coincide with the new name. Mr. Taylor was called as pastor and the church was prospered in growth by the Holy Spirit's work.

The few Baptists that Mr. Taylor found when he first visited Floyd had come to together as a group in 1845. According to church records, the group assembled on June 28, 1845, at the courthouse in Floyd for the purpose of organizing a church of their order. The log meeting place was located in front of the current fellowship hall. The interior consisted of log benches.

The second church building was a one room white frame building which seated between 100-150 people and was located just west of the current Sunday school plant. About the time of WW1 this structure was replaced with the third building. The forth building, a brick structure, was completed on May 10, 1959 and included a large auditorium and Sunday school classes. In October of 1989 the church voted to replace the sanctuary which is currently in use.

The following is a list of the pastors who have served at New Haven:
Daniel G. Taylor 1847
Robert Haymore 1862
T. N. Sanderson 1865
____ Richerson 1867
P. B. Renolds 1868
V. G. Taylor 1869
W. H. Beemer 1871, 1879-1880
S.H. Hall 1881
A. Bryant 1884
J. Sweeney 1886
James K. Galt 1888
D. G. Lancaster 1890
J. W. Wade 1901
A. F. Howell 1902
E. C. Davis 1903
L. A. Thomas 1907
D. J. Bryant 1914
____ Anderson 1914
A. Bryant 1914
E.S. Vaughn 1915
D. J. Bryant 1927
W. H. Danner 1927
R. M. Pleasant 1929
N. A. Thompson 1931
F. W. Haberer 1939
S. E. Byler 1940
E. Len Weston 1940
Elbert Yeatts 1942
N. A. Thompson 1944
Hoston Talbert 1944
J. L. Mann 1947
Roger Snipes 1948
Curtis Morris 1949
Joseph Falls 1951
Leon Wood 1991
John Chambers 2008

During recent history, New Haven Baptist Church has seen its most significant change under the forty year ministry of Joseph Falls. After his salvation at Montvale Baptist Church in 1949 under the preaching of Elbert Yeatts and an evangelist, G. G. Lanter, Joseph Falls left his well drilling business and attended Piedmont Baptist College.

While in Piedmont, he was asked to preach at New Haven. On July 8, 1951 he called as the pastor of Hew Haven. During his ministry the church grew exponentially, a radio ministry to the Caribbean was conducted, the church was withdrawn from the Southern Baptist Convention and the Missions program grew. In addition several men were called into the ministry during this time.

The current pastor, John Chambers, originally from Rocky Mount, NC, attended Piedmont Baptist College and Maranatha Baptist Bible College. He accepted the pastor position at New Baptist Church in February of 2008.